Michael Bell

Ph.D. Students Blog

Skip to: Content | Sidebar | Footer

Category: Projects

Interpreting Power-Law Graphs and Quality

15 March, 2011 (14:02) | Annotation Quality, Projects | By: mj_bell

In previous posts we have looked at annotation quality, yet failed to clearly define our definition of quality. This oversight is fairly common, with many authors stating something is of ‘high quality’ or that something is of better quality than something else without stating what makes something high quality, or how they quantify quality. Our […]

Swiss-Prot Vs TrEMBL: Annotation Quality

9 February, 2011 (12:04) | Annotation Quality, Projects | By: mj_bell

As discussed in the previous post the application of Zipf’s law to annotation and noting the subsequence exponent α could hold promise as the basis for use as a quality metric. UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot is a manually curated and reviewed knowledgebase holding protein information. It is often regarded as the ‘gold standard’ for annotation. Additionally UniProt offer […]

How to determine annotation quality?

8 February, 2011 (17:46) | Annotation Quality, Projects | By: mj_bell

As mentioned in the last post, how do go about determining annotation quality? We have seen other approaches use, for example, the underlying data structure. These mean we cannot use the same approach on all databases. The only thing we can guarantee is that all databases that store annotations do so in text; either structured […]

Why look at annotation quality?

8 February, 2011 (17:08) | Annotation Quality, Projects | By: mj_bell

As I continue with adding content to my website, I have started to detail a project that took up the majority of my first year of my PhD. The majority of the work is complete, and we a paper well underway, but we are still polishing off the latter parts – details of which will […]

String Searching

3 February, 2011 (14:56) | Projects, String Searching, Website | By: mj_bell

Continuing with my adding of content to my website, I added my undergraduate dissertation project earlier today. My project, titled “Animating String Searching Algorithms”, looked at building a teaching tool for string searching algorithms. The development of the tool was done in Java and as a couple of years have now passed since I created […]