My main research relates to system structuring and fault
tolerance, and during 2000-2003 was carried out within the
framework of the Malicious-
and Accidental-Fault Tolerance for Internet Applications
(MAFTIA) and Dependable
Systems of Systems (DSoS) IST projects - which I led initially,
which were the successors to the Predictably
Dependable Computing Systems (PDCS and PDCS2) ESPRIT Basic
Research Projects and the Design for
Validation (DeVa) ESPRIT Long Term Research Project that I
directed. I was also involved with Cabernet, the
ESPRIT Network of Excellence in Distributed Computing Systems
Architecture, which I directed from 1993 until 2001.
I now participate in the the IST RODIN Project and the IST ReSIST Network of Excellence.
My recent publications on dependability include:
- J. C. Fabre, Y. Deswarte and B. Randell, "Designing Secure and
Reliable Applications using Fragmentation-Redundancy-Scattering: an
Object-Oriented Approach", in Proc. of the First European
Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC-1), (Berlin, Germany),
Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 852, (K. Echtle, D. Hammer and
D. Powell, Eds.), pp.23-38, Springer-Verlag, 1994.
- C. E. Landwehr, B. Randell and L. Simoncini (Eds.),
Dependable Computing for Critical Applications 3, 381p.,
Springer-Verlag, Vienna, 1993.
- B. Randell and J. Xu, "Object-Oriented Software Fault
Tolerance: Framework, reuse and design diversity", in 1st PDCS2
Open Workshop, (Toulouse, France), pp.165-84, 1993.
- B. Randell and J. Xu, "The Evolution of the Recovery Block
Concept", in Software Fault Tolerance (M. Lyu, Ed.), Trends
in Software, pp.1-22, J. Wiley, 1994.
- S. K. Shrivastava, L. V. Mancini and B. Randell, "The Duality
of Fault-Tolerant System Structures", Software Practice and
Experience, 23 (7), pp.773-98, 1993.
- J. Xu, B. Randell, C. M. F. Rubira and R. J. Stroud, "Toward an
Object-Oriented Approach to Software Fault Tolerance", in
Fault-Tolerant Parallel and Distributed Systems (D. R.
Avresky, Ed.), IEEE Computer Society Press, 1994.
- J. Xu, B. Randell, A. Romanovsky, C. M. F. Rubira, R. J. Stroud
and Z. Wu, "Fault Tolerance in Concurrent Object-Oriented Software
through Coordinated Error Recovery", in Proc. 25th Int. Symp.
Fault-Tolerant Comp. (FTCS-25), (Los Angeles), 1995.
- B. Randell, J.-C. Laprie, H. Kopetz and B. Littlewood (Eds.),
Predictably Dependable Computing Systems, 588p.,
Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1995. [Contains a selection of papers from
the PDCS and PDCS2 projects and serves as the best single reference
- B Randell and J. Xu. "The Evolution of the Recovery Block
Concept," in Software Fault Tolerance, pp.1-22, John Wiley
& Sons Ltd, 1995.
- B Randell. "Software Dependability: A Personal View (Invited
Paper)," in Proc. 25th Int. Symp. Fault-Tolerant Computing
(FTCS-25) - Special Issue, pp.35-41, Pasadena, IEEE Computer
Society Press, 1995.
- J. Xu, B. Randell, A. Romanovsky, R.J. Stroud, and Z. Wu.
"Fault Tolerance in Concurrent Object-Oriented Software through
Coordinated Error Recovery," in Proc. 25th Int. Symp.
Fault-Tolerant Computing (FTCS-25), Los Angeles, IEEE Computer
Society Press, 1995.
- A. Romanovsky, B. Randell, R. Stroud, J. Xu and A. Zorzo.
"Implementation of Blocking Coordinated Atomic Actions Based on
Forward Error Recovery," Journal of System Architecture (Special
Issue on Dependable Parallel Computing Systems), vol. 43, no.
10, pp.687-699, 1997.
- J. Xu, A. Romanovsky and B. Randell. "Co-ordinated Exception
Handling in Distributed Object Systems: from Model to System
Implementation," in Proc. 18th IEEE International Conference on
Distributed Computing Systems, pp.12-21, Amsterdam,
- A. Romanovsky, J. Xu and B. Randell. "Exception Handling and
Co-ordinated Atomic Actions in Object-Oriented Real-Time
Distributed Systems," in 1st IEEE International Symposium on
Object-Oriented Real-time Distributed Computing, pp.32-42,
- A. Romanovsky, J. Xu and B. Randell. "Exception Handling in
Object-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Systems," in Proc. 1st
IEEE International Symposium on Object-Oriented Real-time
Distributed Computing (ISORC'98), pp.32-42, Kyoto, Japan,
- R. Benjamin, B. Gladman and B. Randell. "Protecting IT Systems
from Cyber Crime," Computer Journal, vol. 41, no.
- A.F. Zorzo, A. Romanovsky, J. Xu, B. Randell, R.J. Stroud and
I.S. Welch. "Using Co-ordinated Atomic Actions to Design Complex
Safety-Critical Systems: The Production Cell Case Study,"
Software Ñ Practice & Experience, vol. 29, no. 8,
- J. Xu, B. Randell, A. Romanovsky, R.J. Stroud, A.F. Zorzo, E.
Canver and F. von Henke. "Rigorous Development of a Safety-Critical
System Based on Coordinated Atomic Actions," in Proc. 29th Int.
Symp. Fault-Tolerant Computing (FTCS-29), Madison, IEEE
Computer Society Press, 1999.
- B. Randell. "Fault Tolerance in Decentralized Systems. (Keynote
speech)," in 4th Int. Symp. on Autonomous Decentralized Systems
(ISADS-99), pp.174-179, Tokyo, Japan, IEEE CS Press, 1999.
- B. Randell. "Dependabilty - A Unifying Concept," in Computer
Security, Dependability, & Assurance: From Needs to
Solutions, eds. P. Amman et al, pp.16-25, Los Alamitos, CA,
IEEE Computer Society, 1999.
- B. Randell. "Facing up to Faults (Turing Memorial Lecture)".
Computer Journal, vol. 43, no. 2, pp.95-106, 2000.
- T. Anderson, B. Randell, and A. Romanovsky. "Wrapping the
Future" in Building the Information Society: Proc. IFIP 18th
World Computer Congress, 22-27 August 2004, Toulouse, France,
pp.165-173. ed. R. Jacquart, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004.
- A. Avizienis, J.-C. Laprie, and B. Randell. "Dependability and
its Threats: A Taxonomy" in Building the Information Society:
Proc. IFIP 18th World Computer Congress, 22-27 August 2004,
Toulouse, France, pp.91-120. ed. R. Jacquart, Kluwer Academic
- A. Avizienis, J.-C. Laprie, B. Randell and C. Landwehr. "Basic
Concepts and Taxonomy of Dependable and Secure Computing", IEEE
Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 1, no. 1,
- J. Yan and B. Randell. "Systematic Classification of Cheating
in Online Games". Proc. 4th ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Network and
System Support for Games (NetGames05), Hawthorne, NY, October
10-11, 2005 (2005) pp. 1-9.
- B. Randell and P.Y.A. Ryan. "Voting Technologies and Trust",
IEEE Security & Privacy, 4, 5, (2006) pp 50-56.
- T. Anderson, Z.H. Andrews, J.S. Fitzgerald et al. "The ReSIST
Resilience Knowledge Base," Proc. IEEE/IFIP International
Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN 2007, 25-28
June 2007, Edinburgh, UK (2007) pp. 362-363
- B. Randell and M. Koutny. "Failures: Their Definition,
Modelling and Analysis," Proc. Theoretical Aspects of Computing
- ICTAC 2007. 4th International Colloquium, Macao, China,
September 26-28, 2007. LNCS Volume 4711 (2007) pp. 260-274
- B. Randell. "A Computer Scientist's Reactions to NPfIT,"
Journal of Information Technology 22 (2007) pp.
Brian Randell, 5 November 2007