I have included in this list the main
papers on exception handling which I have co-authored. These papers focus on
exception handling in complex (mainly concurrent or distributed) systems. Many of
the ideas are developed for the object-oriented paradigm. Exception handling is
viewed as a means for achieving system fault tolerance.
Many problems related to exception handling are addressed in the papers which discuss the CA action concept, different CA action and atomic action schemes (employing forward error recovery) and formalisations of the CA action concept.
1. A.B. Romanovsky, I.V. Shturtz, V.R. Vassilyev. Designing fault-tolerant objects in object-oriented programming. In Technology of Object-Oriented languages and Systems - TOOLS 7. Ed G. Heeg, B. Magnusson, B. Meyer. 7th International Conf. on Technology of Object-Oriented Languages and Systems (TOOLS EUROPE'92), Dortmuth Germany - TOOLS V. 7. Prentice-Hall. 1992. pp.199-205.
2. A. Romanovsky, J. Xu, B. Randell. Exception Handling and Resolution in Distributed Object-Oriented Systems. Proc. Int. Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, ICDCS-16, Hong Kong, May, 1996, pp. 545-552.
3. A. Romanovsky. Practical exception handling and resolution in concurrent programs. Computer Languages, v. 23, N1, 1997, pp. 43-58.
4. A. Romanovsky, B. Randell, R. Stroud, J. Xu, A. Zorzo. Implementation of Blocking Coordinated Atomic Actions Based on Forward Error Recovery. Journal of System Architecture (Special Issue on Dependable Parallel Computing Systems), v.43, No.10, September, 1997, pp. 687-699.
5. J. Xu, A. Romanovsky, B. Randell. Coordinated Exception Handling in Distributed Object-Oriented Systems: Improved Algorithm, Correctness and Implementation. Computing Dept., University of Newcastle upon Tyne, TR 596, 1997. ps file
6. J. Xu, A Romanovsky, B Randell. Coordinated Exception Handling in Distributed Object Systems: from Model to System Implementation. Proc. Int. Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, ICDCS-18, Amsterdam, May, 1998.
7. A. Romanovsky, J. Xu, B. Randell, Exception Handling in Object-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Systems, in the 1st IEEE International Symposium on Object-oriented Real-time Distributed Computing. Kyoto, Japan. April, 1998.
8. S.E. Mitchell, A.J. Wellings, A. Romanovsky, Distributed Atomic Actions in Ada 95. Computer J., v. 41, N 7, 1998, pp.486-502.
9. R. de Lemos, A. Romanovsky. "Exception Handling in a Cooperative Object-Oriented Approach", in the 2nd IEEE Int. Symposium on Object-oriented Real-time Distributed Computing. Saint Malo, France, pp. 3-13, 1999.
10. A.Romanovsky. "On N-Version Programming and Exception Handling", in the 10th European Workshop on Dependable Computing (EWDC-10), Vienna, Austria, May, OCG, pp. 175-179, 1999.
11. A. Romanovsky. Extending conventional languages by distributed/concurrent exception resolution. Journal of Systems Architecture, v. 46, N 1, pp.79-95. 2000.
12. A.Romanovsky. "An Exception Handling Framework for N-Version programming in Object-Oriented Systems", in the 3rd IEEE Int. Symposium on Object-oriented Real-time Distributed Computing. 2000. Newport Beach, USA.
13. A. Romanovsky, J. Kienzle. Exception Handling in Cooperative and Competitive Concurrent Object-Oriented Systems. Exception Handling in Object Oriented Systems Workshop at ECOOP'2000. June 12, 2000. Cannes, France. workshop web page.
14. A. Mikhailova, A. Romanovsky. Behaviour-Preserving Evolution of Interface Exceptions. Exception Handling in Object Oriented Systems Workshop at ECOOP'2000. June 12, 2000. Cannes, France. workshop web page.
15. J. Xu, A. Romanovsky, B. Randell Concurrent Exception Handling and Resolution in Distributed Object Systems. IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems. TPDS-11, N 10, 2000.
16. D.E. Perry, A. Romanovsky, A. Tripathi. Current Trends in Exception Handling. Editorial to the Special Issue (Part 1). IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering. September,TSE-26, N 9, pp. 817-819, 2000.
17. D.E. Perry, A. Romanovsky, A. Tripathi. Current Trends in Exception Handling. Editorial to the Special Issue (Part 2). IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering. TSE-26, N 10, pp. 921-922, 2000
18. A. Romanovsky, C. Dony, J.L. Knudsen, A. Tripathi. Exception Handling in Object Oriented Systems. In J. Malenfant, S. Moisan, A. Moreira. (Eds.) "Object-Oriented Technology. ECOOP 2000 Workshop Reader". LNCS-1964. pp. 16-31, 2000.
19. J. Kienzle, A. Romanovsky. Combining Tasking and Transactions: Open Multithreaded Transactions. Ada Letters, XXI, 1, March, pp.67-74. 2001
20. J. Kienzle, A. Romanovsky, A. Strohmeier, "Open Multithreaded Transactions: Keeping Threads and Exceptions under Control", 6th International Workshop on Object-Oriented Real-Time Dependable Systems, Roma, Italy, 8- 10 January, 2001, IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos, California, USA, 2001, pp. 197-205.
22. A. Mikhailova, A. Romanovsky. Supporting Evolution of Interface Exceptions. In A. Romanovsky, C. Dony, J. L. Knudsen, A. Tripathi (Eds). Advances in Exception Handling Techniques. LNCS-2022, pp. 93-110, 2001.
23. A. Romanovsky, J. Kienzle. Action-Oriented Exception Handling in Cooperative and Competitive Concurrent Object-Oriented Systems. In A. Romanovsky, C. Dony, J. L. Knudsen, A. Tripathi (Eds). Advances in Exception Handling Techniques. LNCS-2022, pp. 147-163, 2001.
24. R. de Lemos, A. Romanovsky. Exception Handling in the Software Lifecycle. Int. J. Computer Systems Science and Engineering, 2, pp.167-181, 2001.
25. A.F. Garcia, C. M. F. Rubira, A. Romanovsky, J. Xu. A Comparative Study of Exception Handling Mechanisms for Building Dependable Object-Oriented Software. Journal of Systems and Software. 59, pp. 197-222, 2001.
26. A. Romanovsky. Exception Handling in Component-Based System Development. In the 25th Int. Computer Software and Application Conference (COMPSAC 2001), Illinois, USA, October, 2001.
27. J. Kienzle, A. Romanovsky. Implementing Exceptions in Open Multithreaded Transactions Based on Ada 95 Exceptions. Ada Letters, XXI, 3, 2001. pp. 57-63.
28. A. Romanovsky, B. Sanden. Except for Exception Handling. Ada Letters, XXI, 3, 2001. pp. 19-25.
29. Special issue "Exception Handling for a 21st Century Programming Language" is published in Ada Letters, volume XXI, number 3, September 2001. It is based on the results of the workshop which A. Strohmeier, A. Wellings and I organized in May, 2001 is association with AdaEurope. Workshop page.
30. A. Romanovsky. Looking Ahead in Atomic Actions with Exception Handling. In the 20th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS 2001), October, New Orleans, USA. pp. 142-151.
31. I.S. Welch, R.J. Stroud, A. Romanovsky. Aspects of Exceptions at the Meta-Level. The Third International Conference on Metalevel Architectures and Separation of Crosscutting Concerns (REFLECTION 2001), Kyoto, Japan (September 25-28, 2001). Akinori Yonezawa, Satoshi Matsuoka (Eds.). LNCS 2192. Springer-Verlag. pp. 280-281.